Am I Taking CBD Correctly?
Are you overwhelmed by the amount of information circulating about CBD and how much you should take? Do you wish there was a way to know if you are taking it correctly? You are not alone. The subject of determining the correct dosages or serving sizes of cannabidiol (CBD) is confusing. In fact, it is one of the top questions our customers ask.
It may surprise you to know that because the industry is still in its early stages and largely unregulated, there are no standards by which to guide the public on how to take CBD. There are no consistent recommended serving sizes or suggested dosages, which means that each manufacturer or retailer is free to label their CBD products however they see fit.
This system has allowed for a massive free-for-all among purveyors of CBD products. No regulations on serving sizes also comes without enforcement on labeling. It is easy to see why there is so much conflicting information and why the quality among CBD products varies so widely.
Our Best Practices For CBD Dosing
Without clear-cut instructions from a regulatory agency, we are not able to simply tell people how much CBD they should take or what type they ought to use. Not only would it be irresponsible, it would not be truthful. There is no one-size-fits-all solution.
Instead, we can offer you our suggested method for determining the best dose of CBD for you. Where health care is concerned, we encourage self-advocacy and exploring all your options for living a balanced life.
CBD is highly individual, as are most supplements or medications. The amount that will work for you depends on factors like age, body weight, metabolism, and even temperament. Finding your sweet spot with CBD might require a bit of patience. With that in mind, we present to you a method that is easily adapted to anyone, even your pets.
Up-Titration Method For CBD Dosing
Up-Titration refers to starting with a specific baseline amount of a compound and slowly increasing it in increments until it becomes the most effective in treating your individual symptoms or medical condition. For CBD, the process is simple:
- Determine a baseline dose that you will start with. One ml of our lowest potency tincture contains 8.3 mg of CBD, while our highest potency tincture contains 50 mg of CBD per ml. Starting with half of our “serving size” is a good starting point.
- Begin taking this starting dose for a full week. Pay close attention to how you feel. Write down any changes in your symptoms or overall sense of health. Giving this part of the experiment seven days allows the CBD to start working within your endocannabinoid system.
- If you experience relief from the condition you began taking it for, stay on this dose. If not, increase it again by another half, this will bring you to our full recommended dose. Again, make a note of any changes in mood, appetite, level of pain, etc. If you are feeling better after seven days. Stay with this new dose.
- If, after seven more days at the new baseline dose you do not experience the desired results, Experiment with taking the CBD twice a day. Or, if you have been taking it in the morning, change your routine around so that you take it in the evening and vice-versa. This change may work better with your individual metabolism. Continue to document any physical changes.
- Repeat the process. After another week of changing the frequency and timing of your dosage, continue to raise the amount you take until you have obtained the results you want. Be patient, as all good things take time. Stick with the routine until you are satisfied you are at a level that works for you
6 Perfect your technique. Once you have discovered your ideal daily dose or serving size, you can further refine it by reversing the process and lowering the amount of CBD in small increments until your original symptoms return. This ensures that you are taking the lowest amount that will work for your specific physiology.
Will CBD Work For Me?
As with everything, certain dietary supplements and lifestyle changes produce miraculous results for some people, and for others, they seem to help very little. Most people have positive results with CBD, and it has a high safety profile. Any side effects of CBD are mild, and it is unlikely you will experience any negative repercussions from taking CBD. In fact, the MCT oil in our products is beneficial all by itself.
We cannot say for sure if CBD will work for you, but we know it has worked for thousands of people who have used it for a wide range of reasons. This is why the titration method is so important. By following it carefully, you will be able to decide for yourself what is best.
A Few Things To Remember About Taking CBD
CBD and THC both come from cannabis, but CBD comes from hemp plants. CBD is not the same thing as medical marijuana. It has no psychoactive effects. The health benefits of CBD are still being studied, but clinical trials point to its effectiveness in treating a wide range of conditions including chronic pain, inflammation, anxiety, insomnia, seizures, and much more.
For products other than oils or tinctures, the titration method can still be used. With a product like CBD capsules, for example, begin with the lowest possible amount and work your way up to a higher dose over time.
The amount of CBD you need for everyday health maintenance may be very different from when you are feeling under the weather or need pain relief. During times like these, you can use the titration method once again to determine the correct dose for any new health concerns.